I am often asked my opinion on things that involve football. The questions range from how to find which player position best suits a child to who I think will win the Super Bowl, and pretty much everything in between. I have many thoughts on the game, on coaching, and on improving performance, so I am starting Passing Thoughts to share some of those thoughts. I welcome your comments and conversation. –KR

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Catching Up with Tyler Starr


Former USD Linebacker, Tyler Starr, trained very hard to get ready for Pro Day at the Fieldhouse, and he had a great performance! Coach Siegfried said, "Tyler stood out physically and athletically at the Pro Day! After running an improved 40 yard dash, Tyler made quick work of remaining tests of speed and agility. He topped off his great day with an impressive linebacker drill session that displayed his capacity to transfer it all to on-the-field movements."

We have enjoyed working with Tyler, and Coach Riggs asked him to share a few thoughts about his goals and the possibility of playing in the NFL. We are hoping for the best for him as he pursues his dreams!

Has it always been your goal to play football at a higher level?
Playing in the NFL has been a dream for me for as long as I can remember.

What have you been doing to get ready for your Pro Day?
I have been partaking in strength, speed, technique, and position work at the Sanford Fieldhouse.

What has been the most enjoyable part of this journey toward the NFL? What has been the most difficult?
It is always exciting to take the next step and see how I evolve as an athlete. On the difficult side though, I feel a lot of pressure being this close to my dream.

What do you think your strengths are as an athlete?
I think I have a high motor and the skills to play several positions.

What do you enjoy about playing linebacker?
I love the versatility of the position. You get to pass rush, stop the run, and cover in space!

What advice would you offer to young athletes who hope to someday be in your current position...hoping to be drafted by an NFL team?
No matter what you do, continue to move forward with your goals in your line of sight.

Tyler has been extremely focused on his goals, and we are excited to see how his journey continues. Coach Riggs added, "Congrats to Tyler on a great showing! His hard work with Coach Siegfried has really paid off!"

We will keep you posted on Tyler's story, and wish him the very best with all that is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment